Wednesday, May 27, 2015

New general manager named

A special meeting of the council staff was held earlier this afternoon for the announcement of the name of the new general manager for the Derwent Valley Council. Mayor Martyn Evans told the meeting that it had been the desire of councillors that the staff should be the first people to know about the decision once a signed contract was in place. The contract of employment was approved at a special closed council meeting last night.

Everyone who attended today's staff meeting was provided with an advance copy of a media release to be issued this evening. The mayor, deputy mayor, Cr Triffett and I then visited the council's child care centre to talk to staff who were unable to attend the meeting and provide them with a copy of the media release.

At the conclusion of the meeting, the mayor paid tribute to the outgoing general manager, Stephen Mackey, who he described as a friend and mentor to the staff.

DERWENT VALLEY COUNCIL
MEDIA RELEASE

Mayor Martyn Evans has announced the appointment of Mr Greg Winton as General Manager of the Derwent Valley Council. “From a strong field of candidates, we conducted a thorough recruitment process with assistance from consulting company KPMG and determined Greg had the skills and experience we were seeking from the 66 applications received for the role,” Mayor Evans said. “His commitment and experience in strengthening communities by developing strategic partnerships will help us pursue improvements in areas including local employment, education, and health services for residents of the Derwent Valley,” he said.

Mr Winton is no stranger to the challenges facing local government. The majority of his three decades of working in the sector has been in regional areas in Western Australia and Tasmania. Most recently he was the interim General Manager at the West Coast Council, with previous appointments in North-Western Tasmania as General Manager of the Circular Head Council for 11 years and of the Waratah-Wynyard Council for six years.

“I will work hard for strategic, future-focused and positive outcomes in the years ahead and I’m looking forward to moving to the Valley,” Mr Winton said. Mr Winton indicated his focus would be on working with Council and the community to support the delivery of high quality local services. “Building strong relationships with other levels of government and neighbours in the region will assist in making the Derwent Valley a more front of mind destination for visitors and additional economic investment also,” he said.

Mayor Evans indicated that the annual remuneration package of $190,000 (plus a laptop computer and up to $7000 per annum for communications, conferences and memberships) for the three-year performance-based employment contract was reasonable and compared well when benchmarked against other similar Tasmanian local authorities.

Mayor Evans also acknowledged the efforts of General Manager Stephen Mackey. “On behalf of past and present Councillors, Council staff and the community, I wish Stephen well and sincerely thank him for his contribution over the past 15 years to our community,” he said.

Mr Winton will commence work on June 21, starting with a two-week handover period.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Important visitors

EARLIER today it was my great pleasure to be able to take several members of State Cabinet to Willow Court to discuss the council's plans for the site and the need for funding. Premier Will Hodgman and the rest of cabinet met at New Norfolk this morning, followed by a regional cabinet meeting with the council.

Rather than spend an hour talking around a table, we paired councillors with a cabinet minister and used the time to visit local areas of importance. Despite the wet and windy weather, I was able to discuss the council's need for support with Willow Court with Heritage Minister Matthew Groom, Attorney-General Vanessa Goodwin, and Human Services Minister Jacquie Petrusma. Joining in the discussion were councillors Barry Lathey, Frank Pearce and Julie Triffett.

No promises were made but with the government still relatively new, it was a worthwhile exercise and it is always inspiring to be able to share the site with such interested visitors as these three ministers were. All three were quite taken by Frescati House and the opportunity to have a look inside.

Other ministers were taken to other locations by some of my fellow councillors. Mr Hodgman later told me this was the first time a council had taken the initiative and showed the cabinet ministers around the community rather than sit around a table. He hoped other councils would follow suit when hosting regional cabinet meetings in future.

Sunday, May 3, 2015

RSL situation explained

THE financial position of New Norfolk's RSL Club was outlined by state RSL president Robert Dick at a meeting at the club this afternoon. All of your councillors were invited to attend and five were at the meeting.

From the outset, Mr Dick made it clear it was not his intention to close the club and he repeated this message during the hour-long meeting. He said the club's business operations had not made a profit in three years but he was working with the executive committee and had put forward a new business plan for consideration. He urged all members to work with the executive committee to help return the club to profitability.

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Water meeting clarified

COUNCILLORS have been advised that the TasWater meeting at Gretna tonight (Thursday) is for the purpose of discussing the Gretna water supply improvements only. It had been reported that a proposed water scheme for Glenora and Bushy Park would also be discussed at the meeting at the Gretna Green Hotel.

I'm advised that Glenora/Bushy Park residents are welcome to attend tonight's meeting but that the discussions will be limited to the topic of the Gretna water supply. The Glenora/Bushy Park water supply is understood to be the subject of another meeting in the near future. 


Friday, April 24, 2015

Anzac Day in the Valley

CENTENARY OF ANZAC
IN THE DERWENT VALLEY

Program of events for April 25, 2015

NEW NORFOLK
5am - Gunfire Breakfast, New Norfolk RSL, George St.
6am - Dawn Service, New Norfolk Cenotaph, Circle St (followed by breakfast at RSL Club). Marchers assemble at RSL Club at 5.45am for parade to the Cenotaph.

9.30am - Corumbene Nursing Home, special service.
10.45am - Anzac Day March, High St. Marchers assemble at top of Arthur Square at 10.30am for parade to the Cenotaph.
11am - Anzac Day Service, New Norfolk Cenotaph, Circle St (followed by refreshments at RSL Club).

BUSHY PARK/GLENORA
11am - Anzac Day Service, Bushy Park War Memorial Swimming Pool, Lake Dobson Hwy.

MAYDENA
6am - Dawn Service, Maydena RSL Club, Kallista Rd. Marchers assemble near Maydena Hub at 5.45am for parade to the RSL Club.

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Latest advertisement - April

BELOW is my latest councillor update, published in the Derwent Valley Gazette earlier this month.

Click image to enlarge

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Myrtle Rust advice

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.